A Beginner’s Guide To Winning At Fantasy Football

A Beginner’s Guide To Winning At Fantasy Football

Posted on August 13, 2018  in Online Games

A Beginner’s Guide To Winning At Fantasy Football

Fantasy football is an online game that mirrors real football. You can participate as a fantasy team owner, and you are in charge of every aspect of the game which includes buying and selling players, team strategy and finances.

You collect points based on the real performance of the players on the pitch. If you collect more points than your competitors then you win the top prize. Fantasy football requires dedication as it takes time to develop the knowledge and required to win.

There are two ways of playing, either daily fantasy football or season long fantasy football, or both. The difference between the two is mainly frequency of games and number of competitions.

A fantasy football league usually has 12 teams or less, and is played for a season, which is 13 weeks. Each week two teams play against each other, and the team with the most points wins the league.

Daily fantasy football is relatively different. Points are tallied based on a day or a game week. You can enter the same team in different contests and you draft players based on a salary cap. There are many competitions and contestants and therefore chances of making more money are higher.

As a newbie to the game, you need to navigate this field with care. I’ve assembled a few pointers to launch you into a successful daily fantasy football career.

Ease into it

You should start slowly, improving your skills with the different free games available. These do not pay but will help you to learn the basics of the different competitions. You can also enter the free entry contests which sometimes have high prizes before risking your money. Consistency is key so you need to proceed with caution, entering small money contests at first and then slowly easing into the higher money competitions.

Know which contests to enter

It wouldn’t pay to lose your money each time you enter a contest. The aim of playing the game is to win and therefore you should only enter contests where you have fair odds of winning.

The single entry contests are the best for a beginner because the competitors are few and every player is limited to only one team. The three max and five max entry contests are also fair for a beginner, depending on their level of expertise.

Manage your bankroll

Bankroll is the amount of money you’re willing to wager. Playing football is like a wager. As individuals, we have different levels of risk tolerance.  Only deposit what you can afford to lose. Whatever your deposit, you should aim at spending not more than 20% of your wager at a time.

You should take advantage of bonuses sometimes offered on deposits or reloads as this increases your bankroll. As part of managing your account, you should know where your chances of making money are greater.

The 80-20-10 formula works best to establish your investment strategy but can be changed as you become more competent. This formula essentially translates to spending 80% of your entry fees on cash games. Cash games have the highest chances of winning some money as most are 50-50 games. The 20% should be spent on tournaments and 10% on the weekly slate because it has the least odds of winning.

Track your performance.

If you are good with figures, you can check your progress manually using spreadsheets by recording your performance on a regular basis. However, most sites provide reports of your playing history and statistics and this can be use to evaluate your success and losses, and maybe change strategy.

Many software companies have also created software to track player performance and provide advanced reports which can even include your opponent’s performance.